Is Anybody There?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says Yahweh Sabaoth" Zach 4:6 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Dio di Signore, nella Sua volontà è nostra pace!" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin 1759

Monday, January 24, 2011

70 Years Old & Still Shining

Today marks the 70th birthday of 1 of my all time favorite musicians, Neil Diamond. His influence on music ranges from the Monkees (I'm A Believer) to Deep Purple (Kentucky Woman) to UB40 (Red, Red Wine). In 1984 he was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame. & while his 1st record came out in 1962 (w/ Jack Packer as "Neil & Jack") & he released his 1st solo record in 1963, it is only this year that he will finally be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. (Obviously I think he should have been admitted years ago ahead of some that did deserve it but not before him &, IMHO, instead of some that don't belong.) While much of what he has recorded has been his own compositions at times, like He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother, he has covered songs made famous by others. & made them his own. The Movie Album: As Time Goes By is probably exhibit A to back up my claim.

Happily he is still recording & he recently released his latest album Dreams (again mostly covers making my point that he can make anything his own). Here is a video about the making of it:



There is no way I could put all my favorites in this post. He has way too many for me to be able to. So here is a cross section of his work:

















There are so many others I wish I could include, I have left way too many out. But there are 2 I absoulutely must include. The 1st is America, from the remake of The Jazz Singer that he starred in. It is my # 2 all time favorite because of its immigrant theme that ties in to my Italiano heritage. that Here is his performance of it in 2009 with the Boston Pops:



However, my all time favorite Neil Diamond song is 1 that was never released as a single. I Am The Lion was part of the African Trilogy on the 2nd side of his Tap Root Manuscript LP. OK, I can here some people asking "Perché questa canzone?" Well the answer is simple. Back in 1973 I performed this song. I had the complete African Trilogy score with me in choir 1 day & the director saw it. he decided to do it for our concert. & I got the part of the storyteller for this song.


Happy 70th Neil! Time to break out the Crackling Rosé & raise a toast in your honor.

1 Comments:

  • At 25/1/11 1:08 AM , Blogger TH2 said...

    I have memories, as a kid, listening to the station 590 CKEY in the mornings before school (the station my parents listened to), and regularly hearing a Neil Diamond song.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

LifeSiteNews.com Headlines

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Get this widget!
Visit the Widget Gallery
FaithMouse