Is Anybody There?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says Yahweh Sabaoth" Zach 4:6 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Dio di Signore, nella Sua volontà è nostra pace!" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin 1759

Monday, October 25, 2010

If This Is True then Why Hasn't the CCCB Repudiated The Winnepeg Statement?

Came across this in the FAQ section of the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops:


"Most Bishops are given a diocese to govern spiritually, making sure the priests, deacons, pastoral workers and catechists in their diocese are preaching the Gospel and teaching sound doctrine to the flock."

OK, the title was more of a rhetorical question that a serious question. Given everything I see of the CCCB they aren't about to start practicing what they claim. My point in bringing up this quote is to remind us that this is what the duty of every Bishop, USCCB or CCCB, is. & when they fail to do it, we do have the right as laity to call them to task.

In fact, according to Canon law it is our responsibility: "The Christian faithful are free to make known their needs, especially spiritual ones, and their desires to the pastors of the Church." (Canon 212, § 2)
"According to the knowledge, competence, and prestige which [the laity] possess, they have the right and even at times the duty to manifest to the sacred pastors their opinion on matters which pertain to the good of the Church and to make their opinion known to the rest of the Christian faithful, without prejudice to the integrity of faith and morals, with reverence toward their pastors, and attentive to common advantage and the dignity of persons.”
(Canon 212 §3)

I know that some groups have abused this to push for their agenda to destroy the Catholic Church. This is why we need to be all the more vocal in pushing for the Bishops to do what they are supposed to do, uphold the magisterial teachings of the Catholic Church. We need to do so in the proper way, respectfully, but we need to do so. I also realize we need to sometimes pick our battles.

Additionally, we need to support our Bishops when they do the right thing.

I realize that some Bishops we have today are the spiritual heirs to the Arian Bishops & want to undermine Catholic teaching. & others don't want to make waves. But someday they will have to realize that not making waves will result in things being hotter in the long run

I will be honest, what got me over to the CCCB site was a comment a few days ago by TH2 about their upcoming Fall Plenary Assembly. I looked at what they had to say about the upcoming session & while I was there I came across this. As I was looking at the agenda for the upcoming gathering I thought as bad as the USCCB Fall General Assembly will be next month, it seems a lot better than what the CCCB's get together will be like. I was going to go back & make a few comments but then I discovered that TH2 put up a post Sunday about the gathering that talks about the things I was going to say (D&P, doing more behind closed doors & several other subjects as well). So check out SOMETHING QUITE WONDERFUL to get a good look at the CCCB as it really is.
____________
FYI: To put it simply, The Winnepeg Statement was a repudiation of Humane vitae by the CCCB in 1968. IMHO, if the encyclical came out today you would probably see the same statement adopted by them today.
PS Even though the USCCB isn't quite as bad, their Fall agenda leaves a lot to be desired as well. The real test of where the USCCB will go depends on the results of the election forthe next president, vice president, treasurer-elect & general secretary of the USCCB, as well as the chairmen-elect of six committees. I'm not holding my breath, but I am cheering for Msgr. David Kagan, JCL, who is currently serving as the vicar general for the Diocese of Rockford, IL to be elected general secretary. I will admit that is because of how I see Bishop Doran running things across the river from me. & it because of that that I will see Kagan's election as a move in the right direction.
EWTN (among others) will be providing live coverage of the public sessions, which is more than I can say about Salt & Light TV up in Canada for the CCCB. I don't see anything on their schedule. & even if they were covering it, I doubt that they would provide the honest analysis that EWTN will for the USCCB gathering.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 26/10/10 1:12 AM , Blogger TH2 said...

    Great commentary as per usual and thanks for the link.

    Salt and Light TV will only have reporter coverage, with bias to the "middle ground", as John Allen would say. Does that sound harsh? Judgmental? Buy, hey, I am a crazy "Taliban Catholic", as Mr. Allen would also say.

    From what I known, the CCCB proceedings are to be televised on a Closed Circuit system. Best way to hide things, I guess. What is there to hide? Hmmmm... Did somebody say "Development and Peace". At least the USCCB will be BROADcasting. A lot of the secretiveness of the CCCB also interrelates to the large role that government plays in Canada.

    Looking forward to your postings on the USCCB Plenary. I'll also catch some of it on EWTN. Should be interesting.

     
  • At 26/10/10 1:42 AM , Blogger Al said...

    TH@ - Don't know why but I got the sane comment from you twice, so publishing 1 rejecting the other.

    I was sort of surprized to see EWTN was covering the Fall Assembly as the USCCB effectively cut them out last year.

    1 of the items on the agenda is a look at the CCHD. It will be interesting to see if that is covered live & if they try to whitewash the problems or deal with them. Bluntly, I don't hold much hope for it being dealt with properly as the news release lists it under " hear reports and presentations' with the description "The Review and Renewal of the Catholic Campaign for Human Development". From all I have seen coming out of the CCHD the past few months anything done is mostly cosmetic. I know a few Bishops will raise some questions. However, I suspect the report is more a cover for those Bishops who don't want to deal with it. The report will let them say it is being dealt with even though it really isn't.

     
  • At 27/10/10 12:07 AM , Blogger TH2 said...

    Yes, I recall the problem last year with the EWTN coverage (I am surprised too re: this year's coverage). The antagonism involved spoke much. Wonder why things changed this year...

     
  • At 27/10/10 5:00 PM , Blogger Al said...

    TH2 - The USCCB released its CCHD document yesterday. Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but Reform CCHD calls it a positive step forward. But they are reserving judgement on how well the CCHD will actually do what they claim.
    Hopefully, I'll have a post after I read the document myself.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

LifeSiteNews.com Headlines

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Get this widget!
Visit the Widget Gallery
FaithMouse