All kinds of guesses are beginning to pop up about who will be the next pope. I have several, including as I said yesterday, Cardinal Burke, that I would like to see elected. But who ever the Holy Spirit guides them to elect is what matters, not whom I want. So whether he is on the short list of papabile, the long list, or the list of those eligible but highly unlikely (which includes me), I will welcome him & pray for him.
But there are a few things I would love to see him announce at the outset of his papacy. I admit they are mostly focused on the Church here in the USA, but some do have international application as well.
1. The immediate excommunication of any politician who supports abortion until they renounce their stand & work to protect the unborn.
2. Ditto for those who support gay marriage.
3. Any organization that supports these things, ObamaCare &/or women's ordination must cease to call themselves Catholic & disband. This would include NETWORK, the National Catholic Reporter, Dignity, the Catholic Health Association & the Leadership Council of Women Religious, as well as many others. Any religious who were involved in these groups must immediately hie themselves to the nearest monastery where they will spend the rest of their lives in prayerful penance for their sins. Those monasteries must be cloistered for the women. Use of the TLM is optional.
4. Speaking of monasteries, order Cardinal Mahony to a monastery that requires a vow of silence. He will be banned from writing anything, publicly or privately abut the Catholic Church & its teachings. Instead he will atone for his sins, including condoning the heterodox & heretical stands either he wrote or allowed groups to promote in the LA diocese. Issuing a public apology to Mother Angelica for his attack on her would be nice as well.
5. Announce he is calling a consistory to make Bishop Finn of Kansas City-St. Joseph & Bishop Morlino of Madison cardinals because of their battle to end heresy & restore orthodoxy to their dioceses.
Finally, announce that he is a huge fan of my blog & will grant a partial indulgence, earned once daily, for those who read this blog.
This list isn't inclusive. But it would give the right message at the start as to what direction he is taking the Catholic Church, that he is sailing the barque of Peter towards the 2 pillars in St. John Bosco's dream.