Is Anybody There?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says Yahweh Sabaoth" Zach 4:6 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Dio di Signore, nella Sua volontà è nostra pace!" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin 1759

Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Happy 88th Birthday Doris Mary Ann von Kappelhoff

For those of you who have no idea who I am talking about, most of us know her by her stage name, Doris Day.
Most young boys have a 1st crush, an older woman they fall in love with. For some it is a teacher, for others it is a singer or a movie star. In my case, & I gladly admit it, it was Doris Day.


OK enough of the true confessions. As I said, today is her 88th Birthday. She was born in the Cincinnati neighborhood of Evanston to Alma Sophia Welz (a housewife) & William Kappelhoff (a music teacher & choir master). She was raised a Catholic but later fell away from the faith. At 1 time she was a practicing Christian Scientist. Now I am not so sure what her beliefs are exactly. I pray that she will come home to the Catholic faith.
Her life has had its share of tragedies as well as success. Her 1st husband was physically abusive & wanted her to abort the child she was expecting. She didn't, gave birth to son Terry (adopted by her 3rd husband) & divorced him. Her 3rd husband, Marty Melcher, got involved with Jerome Bernard Rosenthal. After Marty's death it came out that Rosenthal had squandered all her money leaving her broke.  Probably the most bizarre thing is the connection between her son Terry & the Manson family.  He was a record producer at the time. After audutioning Manson he turned him down. At the time he was living at 10050 Cielo Drive, Benedict Canyon, Los Angeles. After he moved in Roman Polanski & Sharon Tate rented the house. The rest is history. Manson family member Susan Atkins told police as well as a grand jury that the house was chosen as the scene for the murders "to instill fear into Terry Melcher because Terry had given us his word on a few things and never came through with them".
Doris has made 39 feature films, several TV series & a very successful recording career. It would be impossible for me to include all of my favorites in this post. So what I will do is include my top 2 favorite songs & a few lesser known songs:

Que Sera Sera
from the Hitchcock movie she made, The Man Who Knew Too Much (this is 1 of 2 versions she recorded of the song)


Sentimental Journey
w/ Les Brown & His Orchestra, her 1st big hit


On the Sunny Side of the Street


I have to include Hey There from The Pajama Game since, despite the change in the location for the play & movie, it actually takes place in 1950s Dubuque. Something that is very obvious to anyone who knows Dubuque.


As long as we are on the subject of movies, I have to include this bit from the movie My Dream Is Yours called Freddy Get Ready. It is a bit corny. But I have to add that Bugs Bunny was 1 lucky rabbit.


Over the years, 1 thing I can definitely say about Doris is You're Getting to Be a Habit With Me


Another Thing I can definitely say about Doris, You Are My Sunshine


& maybe I am asking a bit too much, but could you Dream A Little Dream of Me Doris?

There are so many more I could post, but I better stop here or this post will go on forever, so i will end by saying:

Happy Birthday Clara Bixby!
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

LifeSiteNews.com Headlines

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Get this widget!
Visit the Widget Gallery
FaithMouse