Is Anybody There?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says Yahweh Sabaoth" Zach 4:6 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Dio di Signore, nella Sua volontà è nostra pace!" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin 1759

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Pope John Paul the Great - Venerable Today, Blessed Tommorrow




On 4 October 1979 I was at the Mass that Pope John Paul II said at Living History Farms in Urbandale. At 1 point I was only about 15 feet away from him when he gave 1 of the blessings at the end of the Mass. Back then the idea of his being beatified someday was the furthest thing from my mind. But that day will be tommorrow. He will become the 1st of 2 people I have seen in person who is in the process of being declared a saint. (Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen, whom I saw twice, is the other.)


Growing up I always thought saints were from another generation, not living at the same time I am. Then as time went on it got to the point where Katharine Drexell was declared a saint. She died 6 months before I was born. St Gianna Molla died when I was 6. I had never heard of either before their beatifications.


But now there are several who are at various stages of the process that were arround for a fair share of my life. In addition to Archbishop Sheen & Pope John Paul, the list includes Mother Teresa & Fr. John Hardon. (& down the road, probably Mother Angelica, whom I have met.)


My point is that we need to remember that each of us is called to a life of holiness. & while most of us probably won't be up for sainthood that doesn't mean we don't have to do our best to grow in holiness. The saints that the Church does name are meant to be examples for us. They went through similar struggles like we have & were able to live lives of heroic virtue by the power of the Holy Spirit. The same Holy Spirit given to every Catholic.


So while we rejoice at the events tommorrow, giving thanks to God for the blessing Pope John Paul was, we need to also let it be a reminder that each of us must lay down our lives, take up our cross & follow Jesus as he did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

LifeSiteNews.com Headlines

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Get this widget!
Visit the Widget Gallery
FaithMouse