Is Anybody There?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says Yahweh Sabaoth" Zach 4:6 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Dio di Signore, nella Sua volontà è nostra pace!" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin 1759

Monday, August 04, 2008

Scandal of the Cross

Heresies throughout the History of the Church
by Bob & Penny Lord
ISBN 0-926143-15-8

I was watching EWTN's Bookmark with Doug Keck earlier this morming. They were rerunning a show from 11 July 1999. The guests were Bob & Penny Lord. They were there to talk about the above book which they had just published.
Over the years I have read several of their books* & seen many of their series on EWTN. They have all been well researched, well written & have aided my faith greatly. I can safely say that if it is put out by the Lords then it has to be good. (& Penny being a paisan has nothing to do with it, though it doesn't hurt.)
I have to admit I have not read this book. So, why am I talking about it?
Simple. I can safely say that it needs to be promoted. As I was watching the show, I realized how pertanant this book is to the current situation in much of the Church. Sadly, the reasons for their writing the book are still arround. & this book is just as much a part of the solution now as it was then.
What is the book about? It looks at the various heresies that have cropped up throughout the history of the Church. It also shows how today's heresies including "New Age" are rewraps of the old heresies.
The title comes from St. Paul's description of the Cross (1 Corinthians 1:18-25). Something that have seen is true through personal experience. The Cross is a scandal. Over the years people have tried to find away arround it, to avoid it or deny it. The result has been the heresies that have splintered the Church. &, as I said, still are.
So, why is this book a part of the solution, not just a look at the problem? To start, by knowing what the various types of heresies are out there, you are now able to recognize them when they pop up under their new cover. In showing you how the Church combated the heresy, you are armed to do the same.
When it came out Mother Angelica said: "This book must be in every Catholic home in America!" I suspect that she is absolutely right (as usual) in this case.
(As I said, this is not a part of my library, yet. God & my budget willing, it will be someday.)
_______________
*Including: This Is My Body, This Is My Blood Miracles of the Eucharist - Book I
Martyrs - They Died for Christ &
The Rosary The Life of Jesus and Mary

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

LifeSiteNews.com Headlines

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Get this widget!
Visit the Widget Gallery
FaithMouse