Is Anybody There?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says Yahweh Sabaoth" Zach 4:6 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Dio di Signore, nella Sua volontà è nostra pace!" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin 1759

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Magadan Update - April 2008

Earlier this week I received my latest Mission to Magadan newsletter from the Archdiocese of Anchorage. So, it is time for an update.

This issue focused on those who are a part of the mission staff. According to Fr. Michael of the Heart of Jesus: "This issue of Mission to Magadan is a 'thank-you' for your love, prayers & faithful support of this far-off Russian mission." Fr. Michael has been there over 14 years. 12 years ago he was joined by Fr. David & Fr. Milosh arrived 8 years ago.

"Our call was to live among them and witness to the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Now we have a beautiful church and more! We see people who have been transformed by the gospel and good Catholic catechesis. They are now the ones who are teaching the next generation of Catholics. The amazing journey of faith in each life needs to be shared with our partners in mission."

So here is "some of the joy" they "have in their ministry":

Andre Solodovnikov
"I was orphaned at age three. It is difficult remembereing the years spent in the orphanage. there was lots of harrasment, and we were severly punished for any little offense. I was sent to a mental hospital when I was eight, and became secluded and withdrawn. I didn't want to make friends. I loved being alone, but I was attracted to church and attended morning and evening services. I began making the round of churches. I was an Adventist, a Pentecostal, a Baptist, but nowhere could I find the truth. My soul wasn't at peace.
One day I saw an invitation to Mass. I heard a homily by Fr. Michael about the purpose of life. After mass, I talked with Fr. Michael and wanted to serve God. He gave me a bible and a biblical encyclopedia. At last I ahve found the truth. I learned to pray the rosary, and receive the Body and Blood of Christ in the Eucharist.
I now shovel snow and serve at the Mass. I have received so much and want to thank God and our good friends who help us. I pray for you because I am alive today because of help from you. Thank you and may God bless you."
The Astashavs
Olga: "When I was a child, my great-grandmother told me many stories about the Catholic Church of St. Catherine's in St. petersberg, and about the Catholic faith. It was very interesting, and very mysterious.
In 1989 I married Misha and we spent ten years in Chukotla during the time of Perestroika - the reorginization of our country. It was a very difficult time; the government forgot about its northern territories, not sending groceries or paying salaries. We had to live without groceries, heat or electricity. Our youg son, Artur, lived with us, but Paulina lived with my mother in Magadan and attended the Church of the Nativity. Fr. Michael and Fr. David helped take care of them, giving money for groceries and clothes. Fr. Michael found the money for us to come to Magadan. I've worked for the Church of the Nativity since 1999.
As the adult catechist, I direct a course of formation for future catechists. We prepare people for ministry, strengthening them in their Catholic faith and performing works of mercy. We now have five catechists working in the field of the Lord. They help Fr. David in Ola and Fr. Michael in Sokal (about 55 km from Magadan). I want people in our parish to love and serve one another, as one big family.
I want to say thank you to all the people who have sacraficed for us here in Magadan. May God abundantly bless you and your families this year with joy and hope."
Misha: " I am very grateful to be called to serve the Catholic Church, and to work with our priests, Fr. Michael, my godfather, and Fr. David. I serve by taking care of heating and cars or whatever needs to be done. I also sing in the choir and help with catechetical programs.
Everyone should have a moment in their life when they understand that God will not abandon them. I know that God acts through the hearts of others. My sincere thanks goes to everyone who helped our family in their time of need. During Perestroika, we received help from the Church that allowed us to return to Magadan from Chukotla.
Our daughter Paulina is a first year student at the university and loves to sing in the choir and play in the bell choir. Our son Artur, an eightth grade student, is a server at Mass. My greatest joy was seeing the fulfillment of all the parishoners in Magaden - to build our beautiful church. Thank you very much for your help in building our church. We remember you all in our prayers. May God Bless You."
Tamara
I lost my parents when I was 3 years old and was placed in an orphanage. After I finished school, I was sent to a Magadan trade school but I never finished. I lived on the streets for 10 years, homeless and not working.
I was depressed and decided to take my own life, but then I met someone who mercifully brought me to the Catholic Church. Fr. Michael helped me to find work, and a place to live. After problems in my new dormatory, Fr. Mike helped me find an apartment and gave me work at the Church. Since that time I have lived on my own nearby, and have a job for which I am very grateful. I've been the cleaning lady at the Church of the Nativity of Jesus for nine years now.
Thank you for your generosity and kindness. Without you we wouldn't have this beautiful church, where we can pray for you and for all who have helped us. may the Lord keep you from all harm. I thank God for you."
Please consider supporting this wonderful ministry. Jesus said "Whatever you do to the least of My brethren, that you do unto Me." Here is a chance to help those who cannot help themselves. As you can see, this is not a handout, but a hand up. They have helped people find jobs in the area besides those at the Church. They provide an alternative to abortion for area unwed mothers. & above all, they bring people to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. I can think of few other ways an investment of a few dollars can bring such enormous returns, for eternity.
To donate by mail send a check made out to Mission to Mgadan or Magadan mission to:
Mission to Magadan
225 Cordova Street
AnchorageAK. 99501
or you can donate on-line at the Archdiocese of Anchorage website:
(make sure that you specify Magadan Russian Mission as the recipient)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

LifeSiteNews.com Headlines

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Get this widget!
Visit the Widget Gallery
FaithMouse