Is Anybody There?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says Yahweh Sabaoth" Zach 4:6 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Dio di Signore, nella Sua volontà è nostra pace!" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin 1759

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Starry, Starry Night

Don McLean turns 62 today. While he is best known for American Pie, my favorite song is his tribute to Vincent van Gogh, Vincent aka Starry Starry Night. That song got me interested in finding out more about van Gogh & my becoming a big fan of his work, esp Starry Night. (The fact that Leonard Nimoy later did a 1 man play about van Gogh didn't hurt either.) Here is McLean's tribute to Vincent:






Like so many others, when it came out in 1971, my friends & I debated the meaning of the lyrics to American Pie. That debate continues to this day in some places. However, despite rumors to the contrary, over the years McLean has confirmed much of what the song actually means.






Yes, I have been up to Mason City myself & seen the site of the crash as well as the Surf Ballroom.
Among the other Don McLean songs that I really like, Castles in the Air:
And I Love You So
He is also credited with inspiring Roberta Flack's hit song "Killing Me Softly with His Song". His soon to be released bio Killing Us Softly: The Don McLean Story, acknowledges that fact.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

LifeSiteNews.com Headlines

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Get this widget!
Visit the Widget Gallery
FaithMouse