Is Anybody There?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says Yahweh Sabaoth" Zach 4:6 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Dio di Signore, nella Sua volontà è nostra pace!" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin 1759

Friday, March 05, 2010

Question for My Canadian Amici

Last night I saw a U-Haul van go by that raised an interesting question in my mind. As everyone who is familiar with them knows, they put the names of different states & provinces on the side along with something that symbolizes the state/province. Well this U-Haul had Newfoundland along with a giant calamari on the side.
I know Newfoundland is big on fish & shellfish, but squid? Am I missing something???? I didn't think Newfoundland was big on squid.
Now I'm hungry for some fried calamari & none anywhere in site.

7 Comments:

  • At 7/3/10 8:49 PM , Blogger TH2 said...

    Quite sure that the squid is not the official license plate symbol. Maybe got special permission.

    Breaded/fried calamari - now that is dee-licious!

     
  • At 8/3/10 12:24 AM , Blogger Al said...

    TH2, I was refering to the side of the van, not the license plate. According to 15q.net the latest plates have a pitcher plant & some have the provincial flag. Still not sure why U-Haul sees a squid as representative of Newfoundland. Makes me think of 20,00 Leagues Under the Sea instead.

     
  • At 8/3/10 12:27 AM , Blogger Al said...

    PS. I think the most interesting license plate design is that used by Nunavut & NorthWest Territories. Every other Province, Territory & State in Canada the US & Mexico ir rectangular. But theirs is a polar bear.

     
  • At 9/3/10 5:44 PM , Blogger TH2 said...

    You sure know your Canadiana. Yes, it seems the squid thing is a mystery.

     
  • At 9/3/10 7:40 PM , Blogger Al said...

    My knowledge of things Canadian/Canadien is not that vast. Love license plate designs, came accross the website, this the little knowledge of the designs.

    Know a little more about CN & CP since theh have operated arround here in various guises over the years.

    Still a lot about how Canada operates is a mystery. & I do know Bob & Doug McKenzie as well as the rest of SCTV isn't typical. Corner Gas on the other hand. . . .

     
  • At 10/3/10 3:49 AM , Blogger TH2 said...

    I have a friend who is a engineer at CN, drives trains. Was previously in traffic control. Radio scanning is one of my hobbies, though have not been doing it for a while. Listening to train comms was/is very interesting.

     
  • At 10/3/10 3:38 PM , Blogger Al said...

    I grew up 3 blocks away from the roundhouse of the Chicago Great Western in Oelwein. Both my grandfathers & a great grandfather worked for it. I went to sleep nights listening to the switch engines at work in the yards.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

LifeSiteNews.com Headlines

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Get this widget!
Visit the Widget Gallery
FaithMouse