Is Anybody There?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says Yahweh Sabaoth" Zach 4:6 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Dio di Signore, nella Sua volontà è nostra pace!" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin 1759

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Why Did Patrick Kennedy Lie?

It turns out that there is more to the story about Patrick Kennedy being told not to receive Communion & from what it sounds like, Kennedy lied about what really happenned.

Here is Bishop Tobin's official response to Kennedy's claim he was banned from Communion & that Tobin instructed the diocesan priests not to give him communion:

"I am disappointed and really surprised that Congressman Patrick Kennedy has chosen to reopen the public discussion about his practice of the faith and his reception of Holy Communion. This comes almost two weeks after the Congressman indicated to local media that he would no longer comment publicly on his faith or his relationship with the Catholic Church. The Congressman's public comments require me to reply.
On February 21, 2007, I wrote to Congressman Kennedy stating: "In light of the Church's clear teaching, and your consistent actions, therefore, I believe it is inappropriate for you to be receiving Holy Communion and I now ask respectfully that you refrain from doing so." My request came in light of the new statement of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops that said, "If a Catholic in his or her personal or professional life were knowingly and obstinately to repudiate her definite teachings on moral issues, he or she would seriously diminish his or her communion with the Church. Reception of Holy Communion in such a situation would not accord with the nature of the Eucharistic celebration, so that he or she should refrain." (Happy Are Those Who Are Called to His Supper, December, 2006)
In the same letter I wrote to Congressman Kennedy, "I am writing to you personally and confidentially as a pastor addressing a member of his flock … At the present time I have no need or intention to make this a public issue." I also indicated, "I am available to discuss this matter with you in person at any mutually convenient time and place. I would welcome the opportunity to do so."
On February 28, 2007, the Congressman responded to me, "I have the utmost respect for the work you do on behalf of the Catholic community in Rhode Island. . . I understand your pastoral advice was confidential in nature and given with the best intentions for my personal spiritual welfare."
I am disappointed that the Congressman would make public my pastoral and confidential request of nearly three years ago that sought to provide solely for his spiritual well-being.
I have no desire to continue the discussion of Congressman Kennedy's spiritual life in public. At the same time, I will absolutely respond publicly and strongly whenever he attacks the Catholic Church, misrepresents the teachings of the Church, or issues inaccurate statements about my pastoral ministry.
As I wrote to the Congressman in February of 2007, and repeated in my public letter earlier this month, I am willing and even anxious to meet with him, to discuss these matters. My door remains open. However, it should be absolutely clear the Congressman himself has once again chosen to make this discussion a matter of public record.
In the meantime, I will continue to pray -- sincerely and fervently -- for his conversion and repentance, and for his personal and spiritual well-being. I wish him well
." (Statement of Bishop in Response to Congressman's Published Interview of November 22, 2009)
So, it looks like Kennedy lied about what has really gone on. The question is why? Is he trying to force Bishop Tobin's hand, or merely embarrass him? Or as Edward Peters said in his post on the story "God knoweth why".
As he goes on to explain, it appears that Bishop Tobin is applying canon 916 1st. "Mind, Tobin can, if he judges it pastorally useful, move to an actual prohibition against reception by Kennedy under Canon 915, but to date at least, Tobin's stance seems to be one of urging Kennedy to examine his conscience under Canon 916 before approaching the Eucharist. It's an open question as to how long such an approach might be tried before being found insufficient but as I read it, it's still being tried, Kennedy's claims notwithstanding." (Bp. Tobin, Rep. Kennedy, and Holy Communion: First question)
The fact still remains that Kennedy is being defiant. Bishop Tobin has also made it clear in his statement today that he won't be silent if Kennedy persists to publicly attack the Church. "At the same time, I will absolutely respond publicly and strongly whenever he attacks the Catholic Church, misrepresents the teachings of the Church, or issues inaccurate statements about my pastoral ministry."
It is also clear that, despite any claims to the contrary, Kennedy does not want to work things out with the Bishop since he has continually refused to meet with Tobin. All I see coming from him is arrogance & a wholesale defiance of the Catholic Church that proves he is not a Catholic in good standing. His actions are contrary to those of a good Catholic & he knows it. Does he think that when he stands before God that these excuses will stand? Apparently. But he will find out how wrong he is if he doesn't repent before then.

For now, Tobin "will continue to pray -- sincerely and fervently -- for his conversion and repentance, and for his personal and spiritual well-being." But I suspect the time is fast approaching when Tobin will be left no option but to apply Canon 915.
The battle lines are being drawn. & while things aren't going as fast as I would like, they are being drawn. As has been true in the past, we are seeing Bishops chose the wrong side. & they are leading people astray with them. In the end, again like in the past, history will show that they were wrong.
Kennedy is wrong when he says you can be a pro-abortion Catholic, you cannot. Using the term "pro-choice" doesn't change the fact that the choice is abortion. To say I am not pro-abortion just pro-choice is as false a claim as saying I am pro-choice not pro-murder or pro-rape, I am just in favor of a person having the right to choose to rape or commit murder.

1 Comments:

  • At 23/11/09 2:10 AM , Blogger TH2 said...

    Excellent commentary, Al. I'll also go to Edward's blog and read more. If only Canada had at least one bishop like Tobin.

    You make a good point about battle lines being drawn, saying that you wished that things would be delimited "faster". My guess that things will escalate over the next few years and that, likely, intense change and confrontation will occur in the US before Canada.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

LifeSiteNews.com Headlines

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Get this widget!
Visit the Widget Gallery
FaithMouse