Is Anybody There?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says Yahweh Sabaoth" Zach 4:6 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Dio di Signore, nella Sua volontà è nostra pace!" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin 1759

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Magadan Update - April 2009

The other day I received my latest issue of the Mission to Magadan newsletter.I always look forward to the latest copy. This issue had an article in it by Fr. Mike Shields that was originally printed in the 6 March 2009 issue of The Catholic Anchor (Archdiocese of Anchorage). Rather than try & summarize it, I'll let Father Shields speak for himself:
God sent me to the gulags to get my attention
By Fr. Mike Shields
A good close priest friend recently asked, “What have I learned in Russia?”
Here is my answer.
I have learned to be a true spiritual father in Russia. I have fallen in love with the cross of Jesus in Russia. I have learned to be quiet and let God speak to me in Russia. I have learned to love Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. I have learned to love, and pray to Our Lady in Russia. I have learned about the spiritual battle in Russia.
I learned Satan is real and wants to destroy me, the church, fatherhood and motherhood. The family is a favorite area of his attack and yet families keep struggling to be families.
I have learned to love my weaknesses and depend on God. I have learned that my strengths can also lead me away from God. I have learned I can be too independent and live as if God is my helper not my savior. I have learned about real evil that destroys souls and real good that reveals God’s face in another, especially in the poor and broken.
I have learned to hope when it seems hopeless; to love when I don’t feel like it; to forgive when I don’t want to and I am right. I have learned my faith is weak and still miracles happen all the time around me.
I have learned that people can’t be trusted, but I still trust them. I have learned to embrace the cross and love the Eucharist, which is the salvation of the cross, given to us to eat. I have learned falling isn’t the hard part; it is having enough humility to get up again and start over.
I have learned the sacrament of confession is one of my greatest joys to receive and to give. I have learned that I love poorly and God loves perfectly. But above all I have learned what it means to be a priest. I have learned to really be His priest.
What is a priest? What do you think is most important to us priests? I want to give you my definition. (John 15: 15-17) A priest is a friend of Jesus. It seems too simple, doesn’t it?
A priest is a friend of Jesus. But ask yourself what is most important for us priests? I think most important is to have a deep, loving, honest and open relationship with our savior Jesus Christ, who is also our brother priest. Everything changes when we have this deep friendship with Jesus. But if we don’t have a personal, deep friendship, it is a dead definition. And so is priesthood. Pope Benedict XVI spoke in 2006:
“And only when God is seen does life truly begin. Only when we meet the living God in Christ do we know what life is. We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary. There is nothing more beautiful than to be surprised by the Gospel, by the encounter with Christ. There is nothing more beautiful than to know Him and to speak to others of our friendship with Him.”
What have I learned here in Russia? God is a marvelous God who loves and loves and loves. Maybe these truths are for everyone to learn? All I know is that God sent me to the gulags to get my attention and I am so very thankful.

The writer is pastor of the Church of the Nativity in Magadan, Russia. The church is a mission of the Archdiocese of Anchorage.
& while I am sure the details are going to appear in a future issue, I want to share something that originally was reported by Zenit:
Russian government wants to see more births
ZENIT NEWS AGENCY
MAGADAN, Russia, — Plans are under way to open three pro-life centers for women contemplating abortion in Russia.
Aid to the Church in Need reported that the Russian authorities — traditionally pro-abortion since the Soviet years — have changed their stance. State doctors are backing these advice centers due to concerns about the country’s low birthrate and changing demographics.
Father Michael Shields plans to open the first center in June in the east Siberian town of Magadan, historically known for the Soviet gulag camps.
It will give him and his volunteers the opportunity to work with women at the moment they confirm a pregnancy and begin contemplating their options.
Father Shields, a priest from the Archdiocese of Anchorage, has served as pastor of the Church of the Nativity in Magadan since 1994 with the blessing and support of the Anchorage Archdiocese.
In regards to his most recent work with pregnant women, Father Shields told Aid to the Church in Need, “What is amazing is that the state doctor who works at the Women’s Consultation Center in Magadan approached us to see if we would be willing to develop a project there.”
Father Shields said, “It has been wonderful because Russia is really turning a corner and wants to see more births.”
He added, “The Russian government knows that the country’s demographics do not look good and that’s why the birthing doctors have asked us to work with and encourage pregnant mothers.”
Father Shields began his outreach to struggling women and children in Ola, a nearby village, where he opened Nativity Inn to provide short-term housing for newborn babies and their parents. Women who moved to the area for studies were often dismissed from college dormitories when they were discovered pregnant, and the priest began the inn as an outreach to them.
Success at the Nativity Inn won support and opened doors for the pro-life centers. He underlined the ecumenical significance of the venture, as the Russian Orthodox Church has also pledged its pro-life support.
Father Shields reported: “What has surprised us is how much the Nativity Inn project and our center at the Church in Magadan have grown through word of mouth.
“We find again and again that women come along having heard about us from other women in the same situation.”
He noted, “We hold regular meetings for women on our programs and it is really beautiful to see how good they are with children. This is remarkable when you think that they almost certainly didn’t have very good childhoods with poor parenting.”
I have been sharing news from Magadan for quite a while now. I do it for 2 reasons. 1st of all, to share the good news of how God is working there. I 1st heard about it on Fr. Groeschel's show on EWTN. Here was a ministry I knew I could support because of what it was doing. Fr. Groeschel's strong suggestion to support it didn't hurt either. I saw an opportunity to support a Pro-Life ministry. & it is also a prime example of how Pro-Life isn't merely about stopping abortion. It is about helping the mother, the father (when there), & the child. Magadan also serves those who were prisoners in the gulag at Magadan as well. Again Pro-Life. & there is also the evangelical aspect. What they are doing there needs to get out.
Which leads to the 2nd reason for these posts, a blatant plug (unsolicited) for the Mission in order to help raise money for this important ministry.
1st of all, unless you are in Russia sending money or checks directly to Magadan will do no good. Donations need to go through the Archdiocese of Anchorage that sponsors the mission.
Donations need to sent to:
Archdiocese of Anchorage
Mission to Magadan
225 Cordova St.
Anchorage AK 99501-2409
The Mission website has info on how to mail packages directly to the Mission, including dealing with customs. The declared value has to be less than $90 US or they will have to pay a fee.
There is also an organization in St. Louis MO, Friends of Nativity Inn, that supports the work at Magadan.
As I said, Pro-Life is not merely putting an end to abortion. It includes so much of what is going on at Magadan. Please consider giving something to help this wonderful work.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

LifeSiteNews.com Headlines

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Get this widget!
Visit the Widget Gallery
FaithMouse