Is Anybody There?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says Yahweh Sabaoth" Zach 4:6 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Dio di Signore, nella Sua volontà è nostra pace!" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin 1759

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Mission to Magadan Update - August 2007

I recently received my latest Mission to Magadan newsletter. But, before I share from it I'd like to make a few comments on why i support & promote this ministry.
If you go back to a little over a year ago when I 1st began writing about the Mission you will remember that it was shortly after I saw Fr. Michael Shields on Sunday Night Live with Fr. Benedict Groeschel on EWTN. (Fr. Shields will again be on the show on 23 Sept 2007.) Seeing the show I felt strongly about what they were doing for several reasons.
The 1st was the pro-Life aspects of the ministry. They were doing a powerful work to provide alternatives for women who saw abortion as the only option to deal with the poverty so rampant in the area. That leads to the other reasons why I felt this was important. Magadan was an area used by Stalin as a gulag. In so many ways the area is in need of the hope that can only come from the Gospel message. Finally, when Fr. Groeschel said to send money, it was like God was commanding me to donate.
Much of the newsletter focuses in on their Nativity Inn work. Nativity Inn describes itself as a "sanctuary for expectant mothers who do not have the financial resources to continue a pregnancy without the Church’s help." 2 women share their stories.
Oksana is an unwed mother expecting twins. Her parents are handcapped & unable to help her. She is from NE Russia & part of a rare native group, the Evenka. She was raised without being taught much about God or church. She admits to being frightened at times because of uncertainty. But, as she says: "I hope for the best for my children and now look more to God for help. He has given me these babies to be born and I believe He will not leave me alone without help."
Nina is a 28-yr old widow who is also expecting twins. Her husband was beaten to death when she was 5 months pregnant. The killers then set their apartment on fire to cover up the crime. She was left homeless, unemployed & caring fr a 2-1/2 yr old son Nikolai. But she is not without hope. "God is my help now. I know all things happen by His will." She came to believe at the age of 21 & was baptised at the Church of the Nativity at Ola. "I now know that the Lord will never leave me and my faith is now my only strength." Despite concerns for her 3 children she says: "I know that God is here and help is here through the church."
They need clothing items and baby carriages for twins to help these women. Given the shipping costs, it is best to send cash donations. This can be done 2 ways. The Nativity Inn webpage has a PayPal link. Or you can send it through the Archdiocese of Anchorage (see below). Do not mail checks or cash directly to them as they cannot cash the checks & it is difficult & costly to convert American dollars.
They also share the story of how they have begun a program to provide a hot lunch every Sunday at their mission in Ola for the children of the parish. About 20 children are fed every week. In addition to the meal they provide an opportunity for the children to play & watch Bible cartoons before Mass.
While there are many good Pro-Life organizations & Catholic charities to give to, this is 1 that I feel deserves your support. Please prayfully consider what you can do to help.
By mail:
Mission to Magaden
Archdiocese of Anchorage
225 CORDOVA ST
ANCHORAGE AL 99501-2409
Please make the check out to "Mission to Magadan".
At the Archdiocese's Magadan Mission webpage there is a link to their stewardship page where you can donate by Visa or MasterCard.
Friends of Nativity Inn also has a link to the PayPal site. Or you can mail a contribution specifically for Nativity Inn to:
Nativity Inn
c/o Connie Hood
100 South Brentwood, Suite 250
St. Louis, MO 63105

Please make your donation payable to "Church of the Nativity".

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

LifeSiteNews.com Headlines

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Get this widget!
Visit the Widget Gallery
FaithMouse