Is Anybody There?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says Yahweh Sabaoth" Zach 4:6 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Dio di Signore, nella Sua volontà è nostra pace!" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin 1759

Friday, July 13, 2007

Caution: May Be Hazardous to Your Historical Preconceptions

I haven't gotten my copy yet as my budget has been a little tight, however, I did take a look at Thomas E. Woods Jr.'s latest book when I was at Borders on Tues. & it lived up to my expectations as a book that was well researched, well written & definitely provocitive. It is definitely going to raise a few hackles with the PC crowd for daring to question many of their dearly held (mis)conceptions. The name of the book is 33 Questions About American History You're Not Supposed to Ask. The 1 question I have to ask is "Only 33 questions?"
No, I didn't read the whole book. I just scanned a few of the chapters to get the flavor of the book. & it convinced me that this is a book I definitely want to add this book to my library. I have a few preliminary disagreements about the way he approached a couple of the questions (ie I think he relies a little more on Jefferson for his discussion of the Constitution than I would as Jefferson was nowhere arround during the writing of it.), but I won't go into more detail until I can fully read the book & get the full picture of what he was trying to say. With that small caveat about the approach, it doesn't mean I disagree with the conclusion. I am sure that there are points where I will find that I don't fully agree with his interpretation. That's OK. I'm willing to have my ideas challenged. & if what he presents is convincing, I am ready to change them. He is doing a great service in raising the subjects up for the discussion that they should have & aren't getting. If this book can even bring about a small amount of that much needed discussion, then I think that he will have been successful.
________________________
Dr. Woods is a senior fellow at the Ludwig von Mises Institute. Other books he has authored are the New York Times bestseller The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History (Regnery), The Church Confronts Modernity:Catholic Intellectuals and the Progressive Era (Columbia University Press), How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization (Regnery), and The Church and the Market: A Catholic Defense of the Free Economy (Lexington). (These last 2 I own copies of & also highly recommend.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

LifeSiteNews.com Headlines

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Get this widget!
Visit the Widget Gallery
FaithMouse