Is Anybody There?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says Yahweh Sabaoth" Zach 4:6 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Dio di Signore, nella Sua volontà è nostra pace!" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin 1759

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Is It Blasphemy?

Yetserday I posted about a satire that was aimed at stopping liturgical abuse. With Holy Week coming up I am cringing at what some parishes in DBQ will be doing to the various liturgies. The other day I even made the comment that I thought that some of what was done was "blasphemous & an insult to God". Later I began thinking about what I said. I decided to look up what the Church taught about blasphemy & went to the most logical source, The Catechism of the Catholic Church (2nd Edition-1997). I looked up the definition in the glossary & found 2 specific paragraphs that were applicable. Here is what I found:
Definition from glossary for Blasphemy:
Speech, thought or actions involving contempt for God or the Church or person or things dedicated to God. Blasphemy is directly opposed to the 2nd Commandment.
2148
Blasphemy is directly opposed to the second commandment. It consists in uttering against God - inwardly or outwardly - words of hatred, reproach, or defiance; in speaking ill of God; in failing in respect toward him in one's speech; in misusing God's name. St. James condemns those "who blaspheme that honorable name [of Jesus] by which you are called." The prohibition of blasphemy extends to language against Christ's Church, the saints, and sacred things. It is also blasphemous to make use of God's name to cover up criminal practices, to reduce peoples to servitude, to torture persons or put them to death. the misuse of God's name to commit a crime can provoke others to repudiate religion. Blasphemy is contrary to the respect due God and his holy name. It is in itself a grave sin.
1756

It is therefore an error to judge the morality of human acts by considering only the intention that inspires them or the circumstances (environment, social pressure, duress or emergency, etc.) which supply their context. There are acts which, in and of themselves, independently of circumstances and intentions, are always gravely illicit by reason of their object; such as blasphemy and perjury, murder and adultery. One may not do evil so that good may result from it.
(Note: Emphasis mine to point to what I consider key parts.)
From this, I am convinced that what they are doing is blasphemous. My reasoning is simple. 1st of all, how many documents have been put out by the Vatican from the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments esp the GIRM, books, writings, etc (including his newly released Apostolic Exhortation) by Papa Benedetto, writings by Cardinal Arinze, etc are out there saying how the liturgy is supposed to be done?
2nd, these liturgists are aware of them & yet still are actively doing things they know are wrong. & when confronted the speak with contempt about those documents, the regulations &/or those who are issuing & or calling for their being followed. This clearly shows a lack of respect towards God & those whom He has put into positions of lawful authority in the Church to regulate the liturgy. Some of those words express hatred & defiance. I know that they would say they are doing good, but the above shows that what they are doing isn't. I could go on, but I think there is enough evidence out there (which I won't even dignify by repeating specific actions they do, we all know them well enough) to prove my point.
& while I am not a theologian, I think that the teaching of the Church on this is clear enough. & that I am right in my interpretation of it. What they are doing is blasphemy & an insult to God! I am willing to admit that I am wrong, if someone who is on solid ground theologically (read a Fr. Mitch Pacwa, Fr. John Trigillio & the like) can show me where I am off in my thinking.)
What saddens me is that what these rebelious liturgist are doing is causing grave spiritual harm to those in the pews. It also saddens me to see the spiritual harm they are doing to themselves. May the Holy Spirit convict them & lead them to repentance & a willingness to see that the liturgy is done reverantly. That it is done in the way it should be to truly give God the honor & glory He deserves. May they realize the truth that when we participate in liturgy we are truly partaking in what is going on in Heaven as the saints & angels worship God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

LifeSiteNews.com Headlines

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Get this widget!
Visit the Widget Gallery
FaithMouse