Is Anybody There?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says Yahweh Sabaoth" Zach 4:6 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Dio di Signore, nella Sua volontà è nostra pace!" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin 1759

Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day 2007

As another Memorial Day winds down, I hope that this was much more than just a day off for all (or at least most) of you. Memorial Day started after the Civil War as a way to honor the war dead. General John A. Logan, commander-in-chief of the Grand Army of the Republic issued a proclaimation in 1868 calling for a nationwide "Decoration Day" to honor the military dead by decorating their graves. The date, 30 May was chosen because it didn't mark the anniversary of any battle. It didn't officially become Memorial Day until 1967. Beginning in 1971 it was moved to the last Monday in May. & while it still retains it emphasis on remembering those who have died that were in the military, it has also ebeen expanded to remember all of our loved ones who have passed on. Unfortunately, in recent years more emphasis has been placed on the date as a 3 day weekend & the unofficial start of Summer than on what it truly stands for.
I remember the ceremonies held in my hometown from when I was a child. There was a dawn ceremony at Lake Oelwein honoring the Navy dead, a breakfast at the American Legion Post, then at 9:30 am the Memorial Service & benediction in the military section of Woodlawn Cemetery (originally the old military section, then the new section where they build a special podium for the event) They have recently added events at the other local cemeteries. & yes, there was often a politician speaking. & there was 1 of the older Italians who would put a palm cross on the grave of every Italian in the cemetery.
I grew up in the Vietnam War era. My Dad went over in 1962. In 1968, an Oelwein boy, Nabor Tafolla USMC, died. I can still close my eyes & see them carrying his casket down the front steps of Sacred Heart Church after the funeral Mass. (He was 1 of 3 Oelwein boys to die in the war, all Catholic.)
After 1984 when my Grampa Stasi died, Memorial Day has had an added meaning to me. (He was in the US Cavalry in WWI.) & over the last 20+ years I have come to a greater appreciation of what this country ment to him. This has included a deeper appreciation of the sacrifices made by those who have served in the military, esp in the various wars, police actions, etc. I always try to get to Mass on this day as a special way to remember, pray for & honor those who served us in all brances of the military.
I got an e-mail from Dan Myers today with a copy of a post he put on his blog. I'd like to share it with you now as it contains a lot of how I feel about this day:
"It wasn't too long ago when I got an email from a Soldier who was on his way to Iraq. He emailed me and told me of how thankful he was that I was doing what I was doing. He encouraged me to go on with my dream to pursue Politics and told me that I could achieve anything if I fought hard enough to do so. He said you really know how much you love something when you'd do anything to keep it. He said that he has witnessed that first hand. He said I've been over there in Iraq once before. This will be my second time going, and something that caught my attention while over there was the dedication that so many of my fellow comrades had while fighting. He said however when I came back from putting my life on the line over there, I never would have thought that I would come back to negative talking and slandering. He said that while over there he did alot of good. New Schools were built, Families were being re-united after years in torture chambers and he said when he got back he thought people would be talking about all the good he and his fellow comrades had done over there, but instead they trashed us. Wanted to cut our funding and never even mentioned of all the good we had done. He said if all the media reported was even as half bad as they made it sound, he too would be against this war. He said but you know, We did alot of good over there. And people were thankful for it, more so then the very ones we were fighting to protect back home.
That message got to me, ALOT. It made me think, These Soldiers are over there doing alot of good for the people in Iraq. And on Memorial Day we should be thinking of all those who laid down their lives throughout History to protect our Freedom. A Freedom that we take for granted. I would like to take this time to give my thoughts on Memorial Day. Memoral Day shouldn't be about bashing our Leaders and talking trash to our Military Men and Women.
Memorial Day shouldn't be about the could of's and would of's and should of's. Memorial Day is a time to remember the fallen. And for some reason that seems to be a hard thing to do here lately. I dont want to talk about Politics today, I dont want to talk about all the negative stories the media reports to make it look as though we are loosing a War for no reason. I am thankful for the Men and Women who laid their lives down on the line for a greater cause then we could imagine. I dont have alot to say, but I think that sometimes thats the best thing, to not say anything but to just remember. So this Memorial Day, dont debate and argue about all the Political Pros and Cons of this War, Today its not about us, its about them. Remember them, Remember Those who Died, and Remember Those who still live on to Protect our Great Nation. Stand with me in saying. "WE WILL REMEMBER"" (Mille grazie Daniel.)
To all of you who fought & especially those of you who sacrificed your lives that we might enjoy the God-given freedoms that we have to day, from the wars in the colonial era, to the Revolutionary War that won our country's independence, to all who fought & died in all the wars since then your sacrifice is truly appreciated.
MILLE GRAZIE !!!!!
Te salute!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

LifeSiteNews.com Headlines

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Get this widget!
Visit the Widget Gallery
FaithMouse