Is Anybody There?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says Yahweh Sabaoth" Zach 4:6 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Dio di Signore, nella Sua volontà è nostra pace!" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin 1759

Monday, March 19, 2007

The Future is Nearer Than You Think

I grew up in a family that was always politically active. The 1st campaign I was involved with was the 1964 election. I worked for President Johnson as well as other local candidates by helping my Mom out at the local Dem HQ. I was 8 years old at the time (9 by the day of the election). Over the years I continued to be active in the various levels of politics from local to federal & all levels in-between. & while I have since migrated from the Democratic to the Republican Party, because the Democratic Party moved at near light speed far to the left of what I have & STILL DO believe in, I am always happy to see it when young people are politically aware & active.

That is why I enjoy being advisor to the Loras College Republicans. Over the years I have met a lot of hard working young men & women (even some from Clarke & UD as well as an occasional HS student) who care about our country, as a result of being their advisor. Being on the DBQ Co. Republican Central Committee has also allowed me similar experiences with the youth of the area.

Recently the blog-o-sphere has allowed me to expand my experiences of seeing young people who are politically active. 2 of these tyros are 16 yr old Daniel Myers from Tennessee & 14 yr old Asher Heimermann of Sheboygan. WI. These young men have opportunities to use tools that I couldn't even dream of when I was their age. & they ARE using them.

Daniel Myers has a blog called Politics One. He started the blog in Oct 2006. The reason: to "discuss REAL politics One on One or as a group." The blog "discusses what you want to hear not what the publisher wants to talk about." The blog allows discussion of candidates from any & all sides of the political spectrum, liberal, conservative, libertarian & even vampire (Yes, there is actually someone running as a vampire.). Recently he started his own talk show on Blog Talk Radio on the internet (See what I mean about tools I never had.) called Politics One (naturally). He has already interviewed some of the 2008 presidential candidates. They are not just Democratic or Republican candidates but some of the other political parties' candidates also. & while he hasn't yet gotten any of what would be considered the 1st tier candidates to appear on his show, I wouldn't be surprized if he does eventually succeed in doing so. In fact I will be surprized, & disappointed, if he doesn't.

The other young man is Asher Heimermann. He has officially announced his candidacy for president in 2032. (Reminds me of me at that age.) & even though there isn't much on it, yes he does have an Asher for President website. He is actively involved in local politics in his area, being a pain in the neck at times (not a bad thing). He also has a blog called The Official Asher Heimermann Blog naturally. In addition he also has The Official Website of Asher Heimermann. He has a contest going for a tagline & a theme song for the website. No idea what the winner gets for a prize though. & of course he has his own talk radio show: Asher Talk Radio. He is also trying to get other teens in the Sheyboygan area active in the political arena by providing an internet forum for them to discuss their concerns. The site is called Sheboygan Teen Talk. I like what he said about the reason for starting it: "Some people say that teenagers or kids dont need a voice at all. That is just sad. Teenagers some day will vote and pay taxes. They should have a voice and there is no law saying that that they can't. They should know whats going on in there government and that what will lead into politics."
These are just 2 examples of what I am sure are plenty of young people from all parts of the political spectrum who are out there doing similar activities. I wish both of these young men well in their efforts. It will be interesting to see what effect they have in the short as well as the long run. I wonder what they will be saying 30 yrs from now about the next generation & what tools that generation will have that we can't even dream of today.
Update: Asher Heimermann has moved his blog. You can now view The Official Asher Heimermann Blog <--here. (23 March 2007)
(Photos: Daniel Myers from his Blog Talk Radio site
Asher Heimermann The Official Photo of Asher for The Official Website of Asher Heimermann website as well as his blog)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

LifeSiteNews.com Headlines

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Get this widget!
Visit the Widget Gallery
FaithMouse